Pursuing God together with your spouse means committing to pray together every day. If you decide to pursue God together through prayer, do you know where to start?
You might have a good idea, or you might have been praying together already. But if you are new at this, today we’re sharing some ideas.
It’s good to remember that there’s not a “right way” or “wrong way” to pray. It doesn’t matter how long you pray, if you pray out loud or silently, or if you pray while kneeling, sitting, standing, or lying down. Don’t get caught up in the details — just pray.
God longs to spend time with you, and He’s more interested in you coming to Him than the way you do it. Take Adam and Eve for example. Every day, God would come to the garden to spend time with them. That’s what God wants with you. A relationship with God is there for the taking because Jesus gave us a way for us to be reconciled to God. Your first step is committing to pray together. Try the 30 Day Prayer Challenge: pledge to pray together every day for the next thirty days. Here are some ideas for you:
- Discuss the things you want to pray about. Then pray.
- Silently pray while holding hands. Squeeze your spouse’s hand when you’re done.
- The Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) is an excellent place to start.
- Choose a topic and pray about it. You could pray for your marriage, your family, the world, or each other.
- Search for a Bible verse that applies to your current situation in life, and read it together.
- Write out your prayers and then share them with each other.
Praying together can help soften your hearts towards each other during the stressful, hard times of life. It’s hard to stay mad at someone you’re praying with!
Share your concerns with each other, and the things you want to take before God together in prayer. The items on your list will probably change every day, every week, and every year.
Pray silently for your marriage, other people’s marriages, your future baby, your baby’s birth mother, your family, your pastor, your church, the needy, and the hungry. Whatever’s on your heart, share it and then pray silently together before God.
Amazing things will happen because He hears you, and He will answer many of your prayers. You’ll grow closer to God and closer to each other!