Back in biblical times, women who had no children felt they were being judged or cursed by God. Today, we know that’s not the case. God does things for His own reasons and in His own timing.
For some couples, God has called for them to grow their family through adoption. If you’re considering adoption, the first step is to go to God in prayer and make sure it is His will for you.
Today, Lifetime is sharing 11 tips to follow so that you can be successful in Christian adoption!
- Write out your adoption plan: Decide which type of adoption is best for your family. You can always review and revise your plan during your journey to adopt a child.
- Be realistic when evaluating your finances and determining your adoption budget.
- Assess your emotional readiness, and that of your family, to adopt.
The Adoption Process
- Learn everything that you can online and from books about adoption and parenting. You may never again do something so important.
- Don’t be obsessed: stop looking at your phone or computer at a reasonable time. Make sure to get enough rest, eat well, and take time to appreciate your life.
- Make sure to take care of each task that your adoption professional asks you to do; don’t procrastinate.
- Be calm each time you start adoption paperwork or to-do items.
During Your Adoption Journey
- If you already have children, know that this can be a stressful time for them. They need you! Remember to spend quality time with them, read them stories, and tuck them in at night.
- Understand and be aware that your adoption journey will naturally come with its ups and downs.
- Lean on each other and on God for support. Share with your spouse the vision of the child you will bring into your home. Your love will grow as you work together to realize your dream.
- Get involved with other adoptive families for emotional support, both online and in real life, to enhance your parenting skills and the quality of your adoption experience.
Above all, pray through each step of the process. Never underestimate God’s power and provision to see you through what can be a trying process. If God has led you to give the gift of adoption, don’t get discouraged when things become difficult or time-consuming. The Lord has a child meant just for you!