Christians seeking adoption answer a higher call to provide a safe, loving home for one of God’s children. But even if you are sure that adoption is the right path for you, could the costs keep you from realizing your dream? What if the price of adoption is not in your budget?
The total cost of a domestic infant adoption will vary depending on the individual circumstances but can reach up to $40,000. Even a financially stable family may hesitate at that number. The reality is that adoption can be expensive. The application fee, home study cost, birth mother expenses, legal expenses, and travel costs are all necessary parts of the adoption process, but the accompanying fees can be overwhelming.
Fortunately, there is help for Christians who wish to adopt, but fear their budget will hold them back. Christian adoption loans and grants can relieve much of the financial burden.
What is the Difference Between an Adoption Loan and an Adoption Grant?
The main difference between an adoption loan and an adoption grant is that an adoption loan must be paid back. Just like a mortgage loan or a car loan, an adoption loan is paid back, possibly with interest. Grants are like gifts that do not need to be repaid, which is why many families will seek out organizations and foundations that award adoption grants.
5 Christian Adoption Loans and Grants to Help You Afford Adoption
1. African American Enrichment Program
The African American Enrichment Program is a Christian adoption grant through Lifetime Adoption. It helps qualified families adopt African American newborns, children, and sibling groups. There is a need for African American adoptive parents. In fact, Lifetime Adoption helps more African American birth mothers place their children with adoptive families of color than any other organization.
Through the African American Enrichment Program, Lifetime can help families who are accepted begin their adoption for as little as $2,000 to start! Contact Lifetime Adoption to find out if you can meet the needs of one of the agency’s birth mothers, and qualify for this grant.
Lightstream, a division of SunTrust Bank, offers low-interest, fixed-rate adoption loans starting at 5.95% APR. Lightstream also offers lower rates for customers who opt to utilize AutoPay (automated monthly payments made from an account with any bank or credit union in the United States). Rates and terms vary based on individual credit profiles.
The private, online application is simple and takes only minutes to complete. Once approved, you choose when to have the funds deposited in your account.
3. America’s Christian Credit Union
The mission of America’s Christian Credit Union is “To Reach, Serve and Teach.” Since 2009, their mission has helped the families of over 2,000 children achieve their adoption dream. Their affordable Christian adoption loan and grant programs eliminate financial barriers for Christians called to adopt one of God’s children.
- Adoption Loan – At rates as low as 5.99% APR, America’s Christian Credit Union offers loan amounts up to $50,000 with terms up to 84 months. The loans can finance either domestic or international adoptions and can be used to fund travel costs to foreign countries.
- Equity Adoption Loan – By using your home or auto equity to secure a loan, you are afforded variable rate options and a lower payment.
- Adoption Line of Credit – Borrow as you go from a line of credit up to $50,000. Rates are as low as 7.99% APR with a 5-year repayment term.
- ACCU Adoption Grant – Adoptive families can also apply for a Christian adoption grant. America’s Christian Credit Union awards the grant to one family per quarter.
4. ABBA Fund
The ABBA Fund is made up of Christian families helping other Christian families. They have dedicated over $6.5 million since 2004 to help Christian families fund their adoption dream. ABBA Fund offers a Christian adoption loan as well as a Christian adoption grant:
- Interest-Free Loans – These loans average between $6,000-$8,000, which will typically cover half of the overall adoption.
- Christian Family Adoption Grant Fund – This charitable fundraising initiative provides funds directly to the adoption service providers to ease the financial burden incurred by home study costs, agency costs, legal fees, and even medical needs.
Instead of a traditional legal agreement, ABBA uses a covenant loan agreement. If you receive financial assistance from ABBA, you commit to honoring your covenant with God.
5. Lifesong for Orphans
Lifesong for Orphans aims to see children placed with traditional, 2-parent Christian families. If your application is accepted, Lifesong for Orphans will assist you with creative fundraising tools, matching grants, and interest-free loans. If approved for an interest-free loan, you will be asked to sign a Covenant Loan Agreement, and agree to honor your covenant with God.
Lifesong for Orphans determines the level of financial assistance based on the financial needs of the adoptive family, the needs of the child, availability of funds, and support from the adoptive family’s church.
Don’t Let Adoption Costs Stand in Your Way
There are times of stress and uncertainty during the adoption process. The cost of adoption does not need to add to that burden. Through Christian adoption loans and grants, any financially stable Christian family can make their adoption dream a reality.